Summers in the desert bring high temperatures and the risk of heat-related illness. IID is working with the counties of Riverside and Imperial to promote cool centers throughout its service area. These counties offer places for residents to escape the summer heat and reduce their own air conditioning use.
- Imperial County Cool Centers [PDF] 2017 information coming soon. Check back in early May.
- Riverside County Cool Centers [PDF]
These tips can also help you and those around you stay well this summer:
- Drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, or use an umbrella for shade
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose clothing
- Limit outdoor physical activity; take frequent breaks to cool off if you must work outdoors
- Never leave a child, elderly, disabled person or animal alone in a vehicle
- Check on your friends and neighbors who are elderly or have medical conditions or at higher risk for problems when it is very hot
- Visit a cool center in your area