As we deal with the ever evolving COVID-19 situation, IID, your essential services provider, remains open for business; ensuring the continued delivery of power and water to our customers in the Imperial and Coachella Valleys. We urge customers to follow all recommended health precautions and suggest making payments by phone, mail, mobile app or through Please visit our COVID-19 page for more information.

  • Imperial Dam

Frequently Asked Water Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For your convenience we've sub-divided the Water FAQ into three main sections: Irrigation & Billing, Colorado River Water, and Development.

Irrigation & Billing

How often is the water availability charge billed and what is it for?

Annual billing of the water availability charge is triggered by IID’s computer system on December 31 for payment in the next year. The water availability charge helps to cover the maintenance and further construction of the irrigation and drainage system. Fallowing land does not exempt the land owner from the responsibility of sharing in payment for the system as long as the owner expects that future water deliver and drainage service will be needed for the field.

How do I establish delivery service to my farm field?

Complete and submit a “Certificate of Ownership and Authorization of Agent or Tenant” card at your local Water Division office. Typically Division staff will instruct you on the process of ordering, receiving and billing water. Select this link to view all local Water Division Office contact information.

How do I place a water order?

Contact your local Water Division Office. Typically water is delivered on a 24-hour, 12-hour morning or 12-hour evening basis. Division staff can explain these types of orders and when you can expect to receive the water at your farm delivery gate. Select this link to view all local Water Division Office contact information.

When I receive my bill for water ordered and I don’t agree with dates or amount of water ordered or received, who do I call to question the bill?

Contact the Water Division Office where you placed the order; they will have the records to verify all orders placed and received. For further assistance, contact Water Customer Service.

What are the water rates?

There are different rates for irrigation, residential, municipal , industrial and other types of water service. Select this link to view the water rates schedules.

When I order one foot of water, why do I get billed for two feet?

Orders are placed in flow units of cubic feet per second, which are typically referred to as a foot of water. This flow is delivered in 24-hour or 12-hour increments. For billing purposes the flow delivered is converted to a volume unit of acre-feet. In a 24-hour period, a 1 cfs (foot) order flow will deliver 2 acre feet of water volume.

How do Service Pipes and Small Acreage accounts get billed?

These accounts get billed twice a year. The first half of the annual amount is billed in January and the second half in June.

Why does my tenant (renter) get the water bill when I (owner) want to pay the water bill?

When someone applies for water, the tenant under authority of the land owner submits the water authorization card and subsequently gets billed. Unless the tenant/landowner makes arrangement to receive the bill or copies of the bill to have a record of water use, the tenant will receive the water billing. To make other billing arrangements contact Customer Service at (760) 339-9322.

How do I (Renter/Tennant) remove my name from a water account/bill?

To change billing arrangements contact Customer Service at (760) 339-9322.

If I don’t receive a CANAL CUT OUT post card who should I call?

Contact Customer Service at (760) 339-9322, or view the current Cutout Schedule here.

If I haven’t received my bill or have a new mailing address who do I call?

Customer service at (760) 339-9322.

Who do I call if I have questions regarding my payments?

Customer service at (760) 339-9322.

I would like to obtain a copy of my water history data, how can I do this?

Send a letter or fax, which specifies the canal and gate and is also signed by the current landowner. For a single gate request, expect a one week turnaround: otherwise, the turnaround is usually two to three weeks. If you have any questions contact our Fallowing Hotline:

  • Phone: (760) 339-9898
  • Fax: (760) 339-9121
  • Mail: Imperial Irrigation District
    C/O Fallowing Program
    PO Box 937
    Imperial, CA 92251-0937

Please click here to view and download the water history request form.

I have a house in the country. How do I get water service to my residence?

Complete and submit a "Certificate of Ownership and Authorization of Agent or Tenant" at your local Water Division Office, fill out and submit. The applicant must then submit a signed “IID Water Supply Agreement” which details additional requirements in receiving water. Division staff can instruct you on the process of receiving water for rural residential water service. Select this link to view all local Water Division Office contact information.

Is the water delivered to my house in the country safe for drinking?

No. Due to changes in the federal and state Safe Drinking Water Acts, IID water users who receive canal water at their homes or businesses must have an alternate source of water for drinking and cooking purposes. To learn more and to view a current list of IID approved drinking water providers visit our Safe Drinking Water page or call the Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (760) 339-9191.

My water has been shut off, who do I call?

IID provides raw Colorado River water to seven city agencies, which treat and distribute it to their residents. If your water has been shut off, call your City Water Service Department.

  • Golden State Water Company (Calipatria & Niland): 1-800-999-4033 or 760-348-2303
  • Imperial: (760) 355-4371
  • Westmorland: (760) 344-3411
  • El Centro: (760) 337-4510
  • Brawley: (760) 344-1550
  • Calexico: (760) 768-2120
  • Holtville: (760) 356-2912

Colorado River Water

Does IID control the use of groundwater?

No. IID provides raw Colorado River water and has no jurisdiction over groundwater. Imperial Valley groundwater is highly saline and, for the most part, unusable. Use of groundwater is regulated by Imperial County. For more information please contact the Imperial County Planning Department at (760) 482-4236.

What is the “Law of the River”?

The Colorado River is managed and operated under numerous compacts, federal laws, court decisions and decrees, contracts, and regulatory guidelines collectively known as the "Law of the River." This collection of documents apportions the water and regulates the use and management of the Colorado River among the seven basin states and Mexico. For more information visit the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation website.

Where would I find information regarding the records of diversions, return flows, and consumptive use of water diverted from the Colorado River?

The U.S. Supreme Court decreed in 1964 in Arizona v. California that the Secretary of the Interior was to provide records of this information. The information published each year by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is available online at this link.

I am writing a school report about the Colorado River, where would be the best place to find information about its management and about forecasted use?

The United States Bureau of Reclamation provides this information.

  • For management information, visit the USBR Water Ops website.
  • For several websites that track water usage and drought conditions along the river, click here.


What are the IID procedures and requirements for projects encroaching or impacting on IID water facilities?

For a copy of IID Water Project Process, Requirements and Developer Project Guide, send a written request to Water Engineering Services.

  • Mail: Imperial Irrigation District
    C/O Water Engineering Services
    P.O. Box 937
    Imperial, CA 92251

Who do I need to talk to regarding proposed and on-going IID water projects (development and/or farmer related projects)?

Direct questions and inquiries to the Water Engineering Services.

  • Mail: Imperial Irrigation District
    C/O Water Engineering Services
    P.O. Box 937
    Imperial, CA 92251
  • Phone: 760-339-9559
  • Fax: 760-339-9356

Who do I need to contact regarding inspection of water projects within IID’s right-of-way?

Please contact the IID Field Engineering Supervisor.

  • Phone: (760) 339-9047
  • Mail: Imperial Irrigation District
    C/O Water Engineering Services
    PO Box 937
    Imperial, CA 92251-0937

How do I get copies of IID Engineering Drawings (Canals and Drains)?

Send a written request to Records Management.

Where can I get a copy of Encroachment Permit Application and Delivery Abandonment Forms?

You can print one here. Or send a written request to:

  • Mail: Imperial Irrigation District
    C/O IID Real Estate
    P.O. Box 937
    Imperial, CA 92251

To request copies of any other documents (maps, copies of historical records, board minutes, etc.) please send a written request to IID Records Management:


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer